Monday, June 29, 2009

Today's sewing really was an adventure

Printable pattern requiring taping a zillion pieces of paper together, slightly too little fabric requiring creative cutting, slippery silky material, broken needles, tension problems, on and on. And the end result was hideous on me. Bah. What a rotten sewing day.

I was working on Kwik Sew 2627, which I got from Print Sew. Currently, it is a free download! That is about the only plus from my perspective. Don't get me wrong; I typically LOVE Kwik Sew patterns. I looked at this and thought it may be a nice easy summer dress. I was a tad concerned it would look like a shapeless sack on me, so I carefully chose view C, with the ties, and did my usual size for the top, grading up slightly for the skirt as I'm a pear shape. I shortened it as even the knee length version was going to be calf length on me.

Well, the size that usually fits great was too wide, way too wide, in the shoulder. I had already test fitted the back pieces, usually my problem, and did an adjustment so that the back neck would not gape. That went great. It was everything else that didn't look good. The fit honestly wasn't terrible at the end except for the neckline, but it just did not suit me at all. So into the trashcan and on with the next project. I think I'm going to do something for Lily or the boys. Their stuff usually fits nicely and looks good on them. Much more satisfying than this.

So, my opinion? The pattern is free right now if you are willing to print it. It runs a tad shapeless so if you are trying to accent a waist, do the tie version at least. For taller people or more of a straight up and down bodytype, it would probably suit you (but then most things probably do!). I'm really not out too much at least with a free pattern and some fabric I have had for years. So all is not lost, but discouraging all the same.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

New Look 6688

Originally uploaded by WeeBeaks
I finished up New Look 6688 today for Lily. I'm in love with how it came out. Doesn't she look cute?

I did a full review at Pattern Review, but in brief the changes I made to the pattern were to skip the tulle underskirt and only line the bodice instead of the whole dress. Just the dress alone is over a yard of fabric, and I felt 2 yards of weight on her tiny little self was too much.

I'll definitely be making this dress again though, so cute with the full skirt.

Thursday, June 4, 2009

"Cuddle Monster"

"Cuddle Monster"
Noah was with me at the Joann's last week and was browsing the pattern book when he came across the patterns for stuffed toys. Those of course caught his attention, and he requested one. After much deliberation, he chose a little freebie idea sheet for a fleece monster. He had specific criteria though:
1. NOT Scary
2. No mouth
3. "Happy eyes"
4. Blue
5. With arms and legs "to hug me"

So I modified the pattern at bit and here is what he got. It is far from perfect. I love to sew but crafty little critters are not my forte, not at all. I refused to buy fleece for this thing so he is made from the arm of a repurposed sweater. His arms and legs are felt instead of fleece. Noah loves him no matter how ugly he is.

Monday, June 1, 2009

Ottobre 3/2007 baby dress as a tunic

Front view


Top is baby dress, design #1 of 3/07, worn as a tunic. I used a sz 68 lengthened 1-1/2 inches (she wears a 74-80 typically). I replaced the ribbons with snaps. I only had enough fabric with the roses for the front and one part of the back, so I did the sleeves in pink to tie in the pink half of the back. Then I decided to do the pants to match and it came together. For once I really like my "oops" in fabric shortage and my workaround. LOL

The pants are #3 of 3/2007, "pants with frills" minus the frills and pockets. I did a sz 86 hips and 74 length, but they are still too short in the rise for her with her cloth diapers. That is a common problem for us, which is why I sized up, but I didn't add quite enough. That's okay; it's not visible under her tunic and she seems to think they are comfortable!